Saturday 4 May 2013

Pedigree Nutrition Plan!

So I was surfing the interweb the other week when an email popped in from my good friends at pedigree; as some of you know I did the Pedigree Joint Care + trial last year and they were wondering if I might like to take part in another sort of trial for their "nutritional plan" where basically  I have to eat a bunch their food and treats for 4 weeks and answer some questions about the foods I been eating - This is my favourite sort of product trial coz one thing I'm quite soopa good at is eating. 

A man in a van turned up last week, he knocked our door and said he had a delivery for my hooman girl, him sed it was on a pallet and did us want the pallet (we didn't!) 

This is what he brought out his van fur mahself (obv it was go be fur me not my girl like she gets post for her right?) ... 


I got 96 tins of meat, 3 bags of pedigree vital protection kibbles, a box (a box of boxes actually so 63) joint care + chews and a box of schmackos 

Here's some information of each of the products 

Kibbles 

PEDIGREE® VITAL PROTECTION™, our new range of dry food is our best ever recipe, specially formulated to deliver superior nutrition through ingredients delivering four key health benefits to enhance Oral Care, Digestion, Skin & Coat & Immunity for dog.

  • New and improved.
  • 100% complete.
  • Developed with our vets.
  • No artificial colours or flavours.
  • No added sugar.
Vital Protection comes in 3kg bags (like the ones I have here), 1.5kg bags (Chicken) or 15kg bags (Chicken and Beef)

The chart above says I need about 335g of food a day (I'm around 27-30kg)

Wet Food 

PEDIGREE® VITAL PROTECTION™, our new range of food is our best ever recipe, specially formulated to deliver superior nutrition through ingredients delivering four key health benefits to enhance Healthy teeth and bones, Digestion, Skin & Coat & Immunity.

  • Calcium to support healhy bones
  • Natural fibres to help keep his insides healthy so he always feels at his best
  • Zinc and sunflower oil containing omega 6, known to support healthy skin and shiny coat Vitamin E to help support his immune system so he's ready for anything
  • No artificial colours or flavours.
  • No added sugar.
  • 400g singles in Jelly, Gravy and Loaf
    • 6 x 400g in Jelly, Gravy and Loaf
    • 6 x 400g Meaty Meals in Jelly, Country Casseroles in Gravy
    • 12 x 400g in Jelly, Gravy and Loaf

      HAS YOUR DOG HAD HIS 4 A DAY ?
    At Pedigree® we believe all dogs should be fed great quality, nutritious food they love.
    That is why we've developed our best ever products to support 4 key health areas for your dog's overall health and wellbeing.


    HEALTHY TEETH AND BONES:
    4 out of 5 dogs over age three may have gum disease, which can lead to serious health problems.  Pedigree® Dry has an active ingredient on the kibbles that helps to prevent the build up of tartar & a specially designed texture that helps clean your dog's teeth. All Pedigree® wet and dry food contains calcium to support healthy bones.


    HEALTHY DIGESTION:
    Bellies aren't just for rubbing. They're for absorbing nutrients, too. So we've upped the levels of nutrients and optimized the natural fibres in our recipes. That special blend can help maintain a healthy digestive tract, which helps your dog get the nutrition he needs to fuel all the amazing things his body does.


    SKIN AND COAT:
    Think of all the things your dog digs in, runs through, pounces on, rubs against, and rolls in. They're not exactly clean, are they? And the main barriers between your dog and dirt, the elements, and other nasty things, are his skin and coat. All Pedigree® wet and dry food are formulated with key essential oils including Omega 6 to help support healthy skin and a shiny coat.


    SUPPORTS IMMUNE SYSTEM:
    No matter how tough your dog seems to be on the outside, his real strength starts on the inside with a healthy immune system. So to help keep your dog strong where it really counts, our recipes have been formulated with enhanced levels of antioxidants like vitamin E  to support his immune system


Schmackos
Dogs love meat and you love to treat your dog with the things he likes best.
  • Omega 3 to help keep him fit for life
  • Calcium to help give him strong teeth & bones
  • Vitamins and Minerals to help maintain his natural defences
  • Available in 2 flavours - Beef and Chicken & Rice
  • 12 sticks and 20 sticks

Joint care + 
  • 72% of dogs fed Pedigree® Joint Care™+ daily experience a higher level of mobility within 6 weeks
  • 3x more glucosamine per daily stick compared with the number 2 selling joint health dog treat*
  • All active ingredients in a palatable easy to feed stick format -­‐ no tablets or powder
  • No tablets or powder, just a delicious easy-­‐to--feed stick
  • Clinically proven recipe
  • Developed with vets
  • Low in fat -­‐ small/medium contains 49 calories per stick, large contains 67 calories
  • Free from artificial colours or flavours
  • Available in weekly 7 stick packs or 3 weekly 21 stick packs

So about the trial - 

Before Pedigree sent me the food and treats they emailed us a questionnaire asking important questions about my eating habits and exercise and health etc. 

For example they asked how old I was, what breed I was and how mobile I am, how much exercise I get a day on average and if my weight is okay or not. 

Then after I tried the foods they want to know how I got on so have asked me to tell them if I liked the food, if I ate it all or left it, what my favourite bits were and if I will carry on eating it or recommend it to a friend. 

STAY TUNED! ....

So its been ... I dunno 3 or 4 weeks.... since I got my huge delivery of stuff from pedigree and they have asked me to let them know how I got on by answering some questions.

I got my girl to do the answering fur me coz I am much too busy at moment.


Was your dog more excited at meal times: cat showed more interest in her dinner at times and tended to eat the whole meal and not just pick at it. 

Did your dog like the food : yes cat liked the food, she preferred the tinned food to the kibble but did like those too. Her fav tinned is lamb in gravy and as we already know she loves the joint care + chews which she has been having for just over 12 months now. 

Would you be likely to buy pedigree in future: I would buy the tinned meat in future as cat tends to prefer pedigree tinned to other brands and will continue to buy the joint chews for cat as well as other pedigree treats at times. I would most likely not buy the kibble as cat is better on working dog food and the cost of feeding her on the type of kibble provided to us for the trial would be far greater than what she normally eats. However I do think the kibble is good and she did enjoy it. 

Did any products stand out: the joint care + chews are a great product and have worked amazingly well for cat in the 12 months she has been eating them. We noticed a difference in her energy levels within the 1st few days of trying them and she has sustained far fewer injuries to her muscles and joints whilst walking/running/playing than she was doing before she had them (also a while ago cat had a week off of having them as we had ran out and couldn't get to shop and we noticed the difference in her energy levels). 
Cat liked the lamb tinned meat the best out of all the flavours and prefers the gravy to loaf. We will continue to buy the tinned meat for topping her kibbles in future. 

Has the trial changed your opinion of pedigree: not really as we have always fed our dogs pedigree treats since we got our 1st dog 12years ago. Eddie (our 1st greyhound) always had a daily dentasix chew for years and also really enjoyed schmakos and cheesy bite treats on occasion and Cat is a big fan of the pedigree twisters (she'd eat the whole pack of 3 sticks in one go if we let her and has done in the past when she helped herself to her friends helpings as well) and as I said before Cat has her joint care chews daily and we have bought tinned meat from pedigree in the past as well. 

What was your overall experience of trial: cat enjoyed taking part in the trial, she enjoyed all the food and treats and finished most meals in one sitting not leaving large amounts until another time. She did leave meals a few times but that isn't unusual for her to be doing that for various reasons. 

So there you have it! 

Heres a foto of me and my noms on holiday





2 comments:

  1. *drool* look at all that lovely food!
    Enjoy your taste testing:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its soopa nice noms Misaki, but us live in a smorl house and it a bit tricky find places to store that many tins of meat BOL

      Delete